Sunday, January 27, 2008

10 Years From Now...

Wow, 10 years, that feels like an eternity but if it moves at the same speed as college it will be here tomorrow. So, this is where I want to be in 10 years.
Like most people, I have always wanted to be financially successful and the underlying theme to being financially successful is money, money, money. The value of a dollar has always intrigued me. From the time I was little I have been budgeting, saving, or trying to make money. My parents, teachers, and peers have always told me to do something that I love. Well, for me it’s investing. I find investing in stocks, bonds, and/or mutual funds fascinating. They mesmerize me the way little children look at presents on Christmas day or we guys watch college football Saturday afternoon through Saturday night. Some of the wealthiest people in the world are positioned at the top because they were able to make great, sound investments. For example, the second wealthiest man in the world, Warren Buffet, CEO of Berkshire-Hathaway, was able to become so filthy rich because he made smart investments. Many experts have compared him to the Michael Jordan of the investment world. So, through research, a few late nights at the office, and a little intuition I see myself being a top investment banker at Capital One, whose headquarters are in Northern Virginia. However, I am also interested in real estate. Although the market is suffering right now, it should certainly regain its luster within the next 10 years. I can only imagine what it might be like to help first time homeowners purchase their house. If I defer to this option, I would like to be president and broker of a small real estate agency. I have been working at a real estate agency for the past three years and plan on obtaining my license this summer.
As for my personal life, I would like to be married to my girlfriend, Whitney, whom I have been dating for one year. She is an amazing person both inside and out and I consider myself extremely lucky to have her in my life. I would like to have a few children and purchase a plantation style home with lots of land somewhere in Northern Virginia, which is close to the majority of my family who reside in Maryland. Before having children, I would like to travel to a few foreign countries. The top three on my list are: Iceland, Portugal, and Greece.
Most of all, I want to be a good family man. I want to be involved in the day to day joys…and occasional sorrows… my children will face and instill good values and morals in them the same way my parents have done for me. I want to provide for them and know that they can count on me.

No comments: